The 2019 Forum for the implementation of the SDGs was organized by the Friends of the UN Asia Pacific and the World Federalist Movement Youth Forum. The purpose of the forum was to highlight Japanese initiatives that have, and continue to, promote the Sustainable Development Goals.
The discussion was divided into three sections: the promotion of SDGs at the municipal level, the promotion of women’s equality and empowerment in society at the workplace, and business and technology leadership. Speakers from two Japanese cities, Shizuoka and Sabae City, highlighted how their cities have integrated the SDGs into the daily lives of their citizens, with events such as a SDG week, a SDG middle school student summit, and a SDG high school summit in which they plan to hear the ideas of high school girls.
Moderator, Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury, consistently drew speakers’ speeches back to the importance of gender equality, without which, he emphasized, none of the other SDGs would be able to be accomplished. Multiple speakers stressed the presence of impostor syndrome, or the underestimation of one’s self and paying too much attention to what others think, as an impediment to accomplishing greater gender equality in Japan.
Speakers in the business and technology section of the forum focused primarily on how both present great potential for advancing SDG goals. This possibility was discussed in terms of the food industry, and the possibility to use new technology to freeze food in its most fresh state, thus working towards goal two of zero hunger, and goal 12 of responsible consumption and production.
Meeting: An Interactive Forum Highlighting Japanese Initiatives Promoting The Sustainable Development Goals
Date/Location: Thursday, June 06, 2019; 15:00-18:15; Conference Room 11. United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY
- Ambassador Anwarul K. Chowdhury, Former Under-Secretary-General and High Representative (Moderator);
- Mr. Sukehiro Hasegawa, Former Special Representative of the Secretary-General of the UN, President of Global Peacebuilding Association of Japan;
- H.E. Dr. Toshiya Hoshino, Ambassador, Deputy Permanent Representative of Japan to the United Nations;
- Mr. Robert Skinner, Executive Director, United Nations Office for Partnerships;
- Mr. Fuminobu Akahori, Senior Policy Administrator of Shizuoka City;
- Ms. Mayumi Takashima, on behalf of Mayor of Sabae City;
- Ms. Marina Ponti, Director, SDG Action Campaign;
- Ms. Mayuko Saeki, CEO of KIREIMO/ Vielis Inc;
- Ms. Yukiko Ikeda, Chief Producer of TGC;
- Mr Junji Torigoe, Representative Director of SAGAMIYA FOODS Inc.;
- Ms.Fatima Khan, External Relations Officer, World Health Organization;
- Mr. Takuji Otsu, Executive Director of FOUNAP SDGs Promoting Committee;
- Mr. Yoshio Yamada, President of Technician Co. Ltd.;
- Mr. Tomokiyo Tanaka, Shinto priest, Iwashimizu Hachimangu
Written by: WIT Representative Jenifer Miller